Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Rant

I just wanted to take a minute to talk about one of my biggest pet peeves: people who try to give up their right of way. They may THINK they're being really friendly, but most of the time giving up your right of way results in momentary chaos from which no one benefits. Over the last month, I've had (well-meaning?) people try to give me their rights of way to me as a driver, a cyclist and a pedestrian. How often did it work well? Never.

People have worked very hard to establish rules and rights of ways for our roads. When someone decides that they will be nice, and give the *other* person the right of way, what typically happens is a form of a stand-off: You go - no, you go - No really, you have right of way, you're supposed to go - No, I insist - Really? - Yes. I insist - Oh, well. if you insist, then... - Well, if you're not going to go I'll just go... - Okay I'll go... hey! I thought you were letting me go! - Well you didn't go - Well you didn't wait long enough, I had to make sure - But you took too long - But I was about to....

and so on. CHAOS.

Meanwhile, someone who had right of way and took it properly is already halfway to wherever they are going.

That's all. I'll get off my soapbox now.

No comments: