Sunday, June 04, 2006

Inspired

I did it. Last Saturday I went to a local art supply store. I felt like I was back home. I worked part time at Curry's art supply store in Barrie for four years while I was doing my undergrad and most art supplies and their displays are still the same. I knew exactly what I needed: two prestretched canvases, a plastic palette and some linseed oil. My purchases sat at home for a week. Then yesterday just before lunch, Keith and I reassembled my easel. As Kai went down for a nap, I thumbed though some of our recent photos. And then I did this:


The Duck Pond, oil on canvas, 16"x20", 2006.

This was inspired by a picture that I took of Kai back on Dec 31, 2005 when we went to the Denver Zoo. Anyhow, it has been over 10 years since I've painted with my oils (and thankfully, they still work!), but it was so much fun to play with them again! I suppose I have about 10 years of photos to use for inspiration now...

By the way, thanks to everyone for your congratulations on the GG gold medal. I'm pretty excited about it. It's a huge honour (note the "u") and I'm still pretty overwhelmed that I was selected. I found a little description online that talks about the medals, with a link to the directives explaining how many silver and gold medals each university can award each year and detailing the selection criteria. There is also a page where you can search for past award winners from individual schools - like Kathryn Armstrong, who earned the bronze medal at Innisdale the year she graduated. And to answer Meg's question - no, sadly there is "no monatary award associated with the medal." I remembered that from high school, when I got the bronze, so I wasn't disappointed to read that. Of course, if anyone wants to send me money, you are more than welcome to do so! Our church needs a new parking lot, so I'll funnel it along.

No comments: