Saturday, February 02, 2008

Climbing v. Adventuring

Wow... this is our 250th post. That's a bit of a milestone, no?

I've had a fairly busy week... I think. It's really all a blur. A definite highlight was when my dear friend Megan took me to her bouldering gym (rock climbing sans rope) on Thursday evening. It has been a couple days since we went, but my arms and legs still feel like I picked up a small truck and carried it down the street. Don't get me wrong - it was a blast, and once I can walk around the room and up a flight of stairs without wincing I'm definitely going back. Thankfully I wasn't too intimidated by all the "famous people" who were in town this week and happened to be at the gym at the same time. I just happily clambered up the walls in my own rather awkward and, uh... unique style. I guess it's for the best that I don't instantly recognize the "big names" in rock climbing and bouldering. Anyhow, I might be completely delusional here, but I think I wasn't too terrible considering that it has been over 10 years since I was last on a climbing wall. Most of all, it was nice to do something other than work for a change. Thanks Meg! And check this out: you thought it was crowded on Thursday! I think this photo was taken during the gym's grand opening or something - wow that's a lot of people!


Keith is away for the next 24 hours or so. He's been up since about 5 AM, and he's off on some snowy hill in the mountains building himself a snow cave to sleep in tonight. Have I mentioned that I have a most adventurous husband? He's far more adventurous than I. You see, I have no problem at all donning my capri yoga pants and a pair of climbing shoes and bouldering up an 18 foot wall inside a relatively comfortable temperature-controlled room. But ask me to put a 30 kilo pack on my back, snowshoe through the woods for an hour or so and then sleep in a hole dug out of the snow? Uh, gee. Thanks, but no thanks. I do enjoy camping and all, but I'm a pathetic wimp when there is frost on the ground in the morning. Keith, on the other hand, has the metabolism of a hamster and his feet and his nose never get cold. I think he might be bionic. He's got our camera, so I'll prod him a little when he gets back and he'll tell you all about his snow hole and the cold and his new down jacket.

We love his new down jacket. He loves it because it's going to keep him warm. I love it for, well, for the exact same reason. Stay warm, sweetie. Have fun. See you tomorrow.

No comments: