Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Busy, busy, dreadfully busy...

Those of you who are familiar with the first few Veggie Tales movies can pretend to throw random objects at my head now. Sorry. I just enjoy the lilting "whateverness" to the song that speaks so specifically to the balancing act I'm playing out. Kind of like the coffee-questionnaire that wanted to know how I deal with stress, I'm normally I'm a proactive, get-the-job-done kind of gal. Thankfully, it takes a lot to get me completely unglued.

I'm not saying it can't happen, mind you. Just to clarify.

I just tucked Kai into bed... half an hour of playing in the bath while I chatted with my mom, quick wash-up, toys-away, towel-off, sticky-moist legs and arms poked into PJs, train-set dismantle, pick-a-story, read and cuddle, lights off, two songs, kiss, hug, sleep tight my sweet.

A few variations here and there depending on the circumstances, the nighttime routine has been my bonding time with Kai over the last year and a half. I cherish it, even in the midst of a busy busy week.

So I'm back to work in a few minutes, but I wanted to at least say hello before I dive back in. And since we're on the topic of things that cheer my heart, I give you this:

This is what is waiting for me for whenever I need to pause, look around, and evaluate the world around me.

Not the slippers. The dog.

Although I do love my slippers. Boy do I love them. It's so beyond fashion. Obviously. And oh, how I love them when it's -20 deg C outside and we have no basement. Like it is right now. With the cold and the lacking of the basement.

But I digress. Back to the dog...

I can't get over how much he loves me. It is truly unhuman. Likewise, I can't get over how much I love him. He's really my first dog. Sure, I had Shorty when I was a kid (ahem. yes. Shorty. I wasn't responsible for naming him - he was 5 when I first opened my eyes), but that's different. This is the first time I've been responsible for a dog. And the devotion is almost unnerving.

Almost.

But not entirely.

Okay... yes. Busy. Be good. Talk to you soon.

Now where's that coffee?

2 comments:

meg said...

Of course I love dogs too. They are great company. And I love my slippers too. Unfortuately Rocket somehow got my slippers when I wasn't looking, and devoured one side of them. But I can still wear them. Although they look mangled. I don't think I can give them up just because of that though.

Kate said...

I haven't read your blog in ages. I guess that is because of the whole accident/work computer getting fried. Luckily I had backed up my favourites and your blog is one of them. It is now on the new computer as a favourite. Anyways with regards to dogs, we've had same a year and a half now and it is amazing what loving creatures they are. The best is whenever you come home, and no matter your mood, she is happy to see you and in turn brightens your day.