Sunday, August 05, 2007

Live from Santa's Tropical Science Camp!

Sunday, 11:25 PM.

Good news! I've got an internet connection!

And I'm in my very own room on a wireless connection, no less. You'd almost think this place was a five-star hotel!

Oh wait - we stayed at a 5-star a couple nights ago in San Jose (the Marriot, of all places), and the internet cost an extra $12.95/night there.

I'm not sure how many stars to give this place, but the food I had for dinner was great, it's right on the ocean, and so far I've only seen one lizard in my shower. There are crabs outside, but none have made it into my room. (Mind you, they're awfully cute.) Anyhow, it does seem like camp, but with only one person per room instead of 8.

I'm so tired. We've been flying for 5 days in a row, including the last test flight and the short flight where we had to turn around and return to San Jose because the cabin wouldn't pressurize. However, I'm so thrilled by the novelty of being in such a primitive place, and having wireless in my room that I thought the least I could do is share some pictures with you.

I found a sea anemone on the beach.


I also found this little teeny tiny hermit crab wandering around the beach near the hotel. Isn't he cute?

Speaking of the beach... wow.


And then there's the water. Crystal clear. I can't wait to go snorkling.

I promise, I am here to work. Tomorrow is a "down day", and then I'm going to be working on the plane on Tuesday and maybe even Wednesday, with a likely flight on Thursday, so there will be science to report, I promise.

In the meantime, I've been almost falling asleep as I have been waiting for these pictures to upload, so I'm packing it in.

Oh, and Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

2 comments:

Grandma H said...

Great to hear from you and look forward to seeing your pictures. I have a time converter to keep track of the time there. your computer is still on Colorado time but and said you posted the blog at 3:23 but actually it was 10:25 out there. Hard to get my head around the time change between hear and there. Take a picture of one of those crabs if you can.

obsessiveskier said...

We want to see some of those cute little crabs!

Great update! So glad to hear from you. Keep up the good work and find us a nice place to stay on our next trip to the South Pacific.

Do they have any humuhumunukunukuapua'a fish there?

Here's an important question...are there any churches there? Perhaps we could travel there on a "mission" trip!