Monday, August 06, 2007

The secret life of island crabs

(This one is for you, Scott.)

Even crabs have important things to do and places to go, and an assortment of crabs live here on the island. Here, for your perusal, I present "the crabs I saw yesterday".

This little dude was on a serious mission.

And these little guys are almost invisible. (Can you see him? If not, try clicking on the photo to get a full screen shot.) They flit around the beach, and unless you're watching where they go when they stop, it's almost impossible to find them.

Unfortunately, the only reason this guy was willing to pose for a close-up was because he is dead. The road is a dangerous place for land crabs. Fortunately, he wasn't squashed beyond recognition like most of the other crabs on the road.

This ends the education portion of our day. Back to work, y'all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely - South Pacific Roadkill - Just what I've always wondered about ;)

obsessiveskier said...

I am so happy. Thanks, Becky!

Yes, I could see them, but that's because I am such an experienced crab-spotter.

Go snorkeling yet?

Becky said...

No... no snorkeling yet. Snorkeling soon, I'm sure. :)

I'm going to have to post on of my other ghost crab shots - one where he's camouflaged by the sand and you have to look for his eyes and his shadow to find him.