Friday, June 08, 2007

Assembly line

This afternoon I took a break from being a scientist and spent some time being domestic, piecing a quilt that I started a while back. Until today, I had done a bunch of cutting but had only pieced three blocks. I now have ten pieced blocks, and another partially-pieced block on my sewing table.

I know it has been said before, but chain piecing rocks. Not only does it save thread (nice) and prevent the corners of my squares from getting sucked into the bobbin zone (significantly less frustrating), but it makes it easy to keep going (there is always another block being made.)

I get such intense pleasure out of seeing a block come together. I have been slowly getting better at making my points line up on these blocks - not exactly an easy feat when 8 points come together in one location, but the highlight of the day (sarcastic tone very on) had to be when my sweet husband came into the room near the end of the day, leaned over the bed-full of blocks and immediately commented on one very poorly lined-up corner.

Uh, thanks, sweetie. I know.

Darn homespuns... I really love them, as you may have noticed from previous projects, but they have a very different stretch than cotton prints. Anyhow, whatever - it's homemade. And maybe that's just one of the reasons that I don't do this for a living. Not yet at least.

Sadly, near the end of the afternoon some of my beige piles were looking rather depleted. So this evening I made a quick trip to the fabric store and have added four more beige fabrics to my collection. Ummm... yeah. And one more orange and one more green. They were really pretty and asked to be brought home with me. Honest.

The plan is that this will eventually be our spare bedroom queen-sized bed covering. By my estimates I think I have another 50+ blocks to go.

Lastly, the strangest photo of all: me working away on the sewing machine, compliments of my 4-year-old. Don't ask me how he managed to eliminate my head, but fear not - I still have my "big brain" and the science will continue. Later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the colours you chose. Looks great. You'll have to show us the finished product.

ewe are here said...

Wow. I'm impressed.

I still have to figure out how to use the sewing machine i got two christmas's ago...

Anonymous said...

homemade that's what is important... not if one is out of line maybe that will be your signature.... love the colours... please show us the finished project.